Tuesday, September 27, 2011

AnD He LIStEnd

 I just have to sit down to make sense of it all. Everything seems to be changing, on my inside and my outside. Dealing with it won't be hard for me, I'm already thirteen. "What the fuck do they know anyway" my voice echoed in the canal. It was early morning, I didn't feel like going to school. I was in the old Jewish part of town. The buildings built up, tall blocks. Sure the tunnel was narrow, but I hated letting people see me skip school. Rafal was going to meet up with me. I had enough money for cigarettes and he was planning on sinking into a bag of glue. He was already fifteen years old. I knew we were going to do something I wasn't sure was good for me, but both our moms were away. So when he asked "Wanna come?" I smiled and told him Ill meet him in the tunnel.
My mom was in Africa and Rafals mom was in some small village in Poland. So were we actually. A space of two thousand people carried in a small Town kosherly placed along a sandy bend in a river that ran through the whole country. There was a church next to us on the map. Both of us had lousy fathers, and we were both lucky enough to be far from home and almost somewhere else. "What's up" his voice was weary, he wasn't used to crawling around the pipes like I was. He was bigger then me, he had long black hair. He always wore black, and it suited him. I gave him a smoke and using the matches I had taken from my grandmothers kitchen I lit his cigarette and then mine. We sat in the dark smoking. "There are rats in here" the sound of the length of the line of concrete pronounced itself to him. He'd never really had the guts to go this deep. It was funny to see him, it happened to me the first time I went in too.
"Look out!" the scream scared me. I was in there with David. He had brought me and my younger cousin along for the trip. We all had a box of matches each all to ourselves. The rat had ran by me. I could see it in the dark, it's shadow, I was frightened and I stepped on it. It was big enough to leave me feeling a murderer. David just kept us moving forward.
"Im not scared of rats now" my match withered out. I knew we were going to enter the area under the street, that's where we had decided was a good place to inhale the glue. We had two tubes of bottom line shoe glue. "I was only eight years old the first time I came through the tunnels." He didn't care. He grew up in Poland. He was rougher. "It rains a lot where I'm from" it's how he set the mood when we reached our destination. We were surrounded by the man wholes that led to the street. The tic tak of the Lada's and small Fiat tiers crunching into the cracks the ingrained themselves like snakes into the pavement.
It was funny to see the tube empty so fast, all the liquid, along with the vapors. I could almost taste it it was so heavy. "I can't do this" my voice wasn't even loud enough to be said to sound of a whisper. The clatter over head reminded me of the rain. I watched how Rafal drew his mouth over the bag and started to breath in the noxious fume. His eyes went out almost immediately. It was like he had been infatuated by an elegant women. Except it wasn't. I brought the bag to my face, listening to someone barder with the shop man running the Kiosk above us. I could see it snowing with in a matter of seconds I was in the clouds. It scared me and I threw the bag into the air. Coming from over some trees I found myself sitting in the sewer next to Rafal. He was still pulling in his nativity scene.  
So I started to discus the Apocalypse

No comments: